I was discussing the concept of nicknaming with a fellow this morning. I explained the nicknames doctrine to him and then remembered that there were a couple of points I was going to add to it. Here it is; points four and five are new.
1. You can’t make up your own nickname.
2. You have to dislike it at first. (But it can grow on you.)
3. It has to somehow be descriptive of your person.
4. Diminutives are not nicknames.
5. Jesus was the most famous nicknamer. (Consider “Peter,” “The Sons of Thunder,” “Paul,” “Abraham,” “Israel,” and Revelation 2:17.)